27 March 2020
The list of educational applications, platforms and resources below aim to help parents, teachers, schools and school administrators facilitate student learning and provide social care and interaction during periods of school closure.Most of the solutions curated are free and many cater to multiple languages. While these solutions do not carry UNESCOs explicit endorsement, they tend to have a wide reach, a strong user-base and evidence of impact. They are categorized based on distance learning needs, but most of them offer functionalities across multiple categories.
Digital learning management systems
- Blackboard Resources and tools to transition and deliver quality teaching and learning online.
- CenturyTech Personal learning pathways with micro-lessons to address gaps in knowledge, challenge students and promote long-term memory retention.
- ClassDojo Connects teachers with students and parents to build classroom communities.
- Edmodo Tools and resources to manage classrooms and engage students remotely.
- Edraak Arabic language online education with resources for school learners and teachers.
- EkStep Open learning platform with a collection of learning resources to support literacy and numeracy.
- Google Classroom Helps classes connect remotely, communicate and stay-organized.
- Moodle Community-driven and globally-supported open learning platform.
- Nafham Arabic language online learning platform hosting educational video lessons that correspond with Egyptian and Syrian curricula.
- Schoology Tools to support instruction, learning, grading, collaboration and assessment.
- Seesaw Enables the creation of collaborative and sharable digital learning portfolios and learning resources.
- Skooler Tools to turn Microsoft Office software into an education platform.
- Study Sapuri Japanese language online learning platform for middle school students.
Systems purpose-built for mobile phones
- Cell-Ed Learner-centered, skills-based learning platform with offline options.
- Eneza Education - Revision and learning materials for basic feature phones.
- Funzi Mobile learning service that supports teaching and training for large groups.
- KaiOS Software that gives smartphone capabilities to inexpensive mobile phones and helps open portals to learning opportunities.
- Ubongo Uses entertainment, mass media, and the connectivity of mobile devices to deliver localized learning to African families at low cost and scale.
- Ustad Mobile Access and share educational content offline.
Systems with strong offline functionality
- Cant wait to Learn Gaming technology to deliver quality education to children, including those in conflict contexts.
- Kolibri Learning application to support universal education.
- Rumie Education tools and content to enable lifelong learning for underserved communities.
- Ustad Mobile Access and share educational content offline.
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Platforms
- Alison Online courses from experts.
- Canvas Lifelong learning and professional development for educators.
- Coursera Online courses taught by instructors from well-recognized universities and companies.
- EdX Online courses from leading educational institutions.
- University of the People - Online university with open access to higher education.
- Icourses Chinese language courses for university students.
- Future Learn Online courses to help learners study, build professional skills and connect with experts.
Self-directed learning content
- Byjus Learning application with large repositories of educational content tailored for different grades and learning levels.
- Discovery Education Free educational resources and lessons about viruses and outbreaks for different grade levels.
- Geekie Portuguese language web-based platform that provides personalized educational content using adaptive learning technology.
- Khan Academy Free online lessons and practice in math, sciences and humanities, as well as free tools for parents and teachers to track student progress. Available in 40+ languages, and aligned to national curriculum for over 10 countries.
- KitKit School - Tablet-based learning suite with a comprehensive curriculum spanning early childhood through early primary levels.
- LabXchange Curated and user-created digital learning content delivered on an online platform that enables educational and research experiences.
- Mindspark Adaptive online tutoring system that helps students practice and learn mathematics.
- Mosoteach Chinese language application hosting cloud classes.
- OneCourse Child-focused application to deliver reading, writing and numeracy education.
- Quizlet Learning flashcards and games to support learning in multiple subjects.
- Siyavula Mathematics and physical sciences education aligned with South African curriculum.
- YouTube Huge repository of educational videos and learning channels.
Mobile reading applications
- African Storybook - Open access to picture storybooks in African languages.
- Global Digital Library Digital storybooks and other reading materials easily accessible from mobile phones or computers.
- Lezioni sul sofà A collection of Italian language books for children, complemented with read-aloud features as well as videos discussing books and art.
- StoryWeaver Digital repository of multilingual stories for children.
- Worldreader Digital books and stories accessible from mobile devices and functionality to support reading instruction.
Collaboration platforms that support live-video communication
- Dingtalk Communication platform that supports video conferencing, task and calendar management, attendance tracking and instant messaging.
- Lark Collaboration suite of interconnected tools, including chat, calendar, creation and cloud storage.
- Hangouts Meet Video calls integrated with other Googles G-Suite tools.
- Teams Chat, meet, call and collaboration features integrated with Microsoft Office software.
- Skype Video and audio calls with talk, chat and collaboration features.
- Zoom Cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat and webinars.
Tools to create of digital learning content
- Thinglink Tools to create interactive images, videos and other multimedia resources.
- Buncee Supports the creation and sharing visual representations of learning content, including media-rich lessons, reports, newsletters and presentations.
- EdPuzzle Video lesson creation software.
- Kaltura Video management and creation tools with integration options for various learning management systems.
- Nearpod Software to create lessons with informative and interactive assessment activities.
- Pear Deck Facilitates the design of engaging instructional content with various integration features.
- Squigl Content creation platform that transforms speech or text into animated videos.
Permanent link: http://en.unesco.kz/distance-learning-solutions